Wednesday, August 3, 2011

San Luis Obispo Mission

Ok, so the August watercolor painting challenge on the artist site to which I subscribe is "local historic buildings."  I am bound and determined to learn to paint buildings.  Most pictures of the Mission are not all that interesting, at least imho. This one, though, rather caught my attention.  I thought I could have a go at it.  So here it is.  I didn't wet the paper totally before I began, and found out that I should have.  The tree behind the rosemary on the right hand side needed to be a different color so that there was more of a distinction between the two.  I didn't include too much detail in this because it was my first attempt and I wanted to try getting the essence of the building before I tried mastering the building.  Its a big stucco building, but I think I did a fair job for my first attempt.

No comments:

Post a Comment