Thursday, May 2, 2013

I'm Just Playing in the Band

So, I have finally finished another commission.  This one another band of instruments.  A bit more aggressive, you might say, than the last.  But in my mind, soooooooo much better.    I should take a moment to point out that this is actually the third one of these I did for this commission.  The first two...... well, let's not mention the first two.

Yes, this picture gets a little grey at the bottom.  I blame my iPhone for that.  It never has taken great pictures.  And this is with the flash on, from about 2 feet away.


Ok, here is the first picture.  This is my initial drawing, you can see how I arranged the instruments.

 This is all I got done before I had to stop and take a quick break.  You can see the instruments getting a little bit of color.


Here, I was able to put finish a first coat of color on all the instruments.  I've also gone back to do some shading on the classical guitar and the stand up bass.

A bit more color on the instruments and i'll have them all but done, then it will be on to the fun part.  







And finally the fun part.   It really gives the painting a lot of motion.  I think it looks great.  My son took a quick peak at it and gave me a review, "Too much splatter dad, you need to take some off. "  I probably ought to listen to him.  Though he has only been painting a short time, because he is only 6, he's much better at adding splatter to paintings than I am.  Many a Saturday morning we will paint and then he will "add some splat" to his painting, and voila, what was an ordinary painting, turns into something looking pretty good.

Well, I like the splatter, I think it adds a lot to the painting.  My intent was to make "splats" of different sizes to represent music being played by the instruments.  I don't know if i quite got that, but I still do like the painting.  Let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment