Thursday, May 9, 2013

Morro Bay at Sunset

This painting for sale.  Watercolor.  9x12. $30
Ok, I think that every now and again, I will alway do a really loose paintint like this one.  They are fun to do, and have an interesting look to them.  Trying not to keep the paint in the lines, just in the general area is quite often maddening, but the results can be outstanding.  Also, I trying not to worry about my drawing quite so much too.  It was a little un-nerving to draw with ink like I did.  I think I will call this style coffee drawing, since it looks like I've had a cup or two too many to make the lines straight.  I actually didn't want to make the lines perfectly straight.  I've seen some videos lately of people talking about ow the irregular lines add more life to the painting that straight lines.  I wasn't sure I believed it before I did the painting, but I'm nearly convinced afterwards.

This is a painting of the Inn at Morro Bay, one of my favorite buildings in Morro Bay.  It's right on the water.  Of course, any good picture of Morro Bay is gonna have the Rock in somewhere.  And since the whole town is a bird sanctuary, I thought I would throw in some birds for good measure.

The west facing side of the Inn is almost all glass, and when the sun goes down, the windows really do look orange, red, purple and blue from the outside.  It's quite a site.  Of course most people look west rather than east, and never see the windows.

I like this painting and will hang it proudly in my office until its sold.  Hope you all enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment