Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Quick Sketching (err, well, coloring anyway)


I've a friend who is continually publishing quick sketches that she does.  She works a lot with the human form, but will paint other stuff.  Well, I was going through some old sketchbooks I had laying around and decided to colorize them.  I don't know when I drew these.  I would say it was 3 or 4 years ago.  Tonight I was cleaning up the old studio when I came across these.  I thought it might be a good exercise to try to quickly paint theses.  I gave it a shot, but they are not anywhere near the quality that my friend does.

I realize, now, looking at these paintings, that they lack a bit of color.  I do have a good reason for this,  or perhaps I have several excuses.

Firstly, I was using the color that was already on my palette from previous paintings.  I didn't think I would need a lot of color to do this and thought this would be a good way to use up what I had left over from last nights painting.    Well, last night I was painting a Maine Coon cat, and the color diversity on that cat is not the greatest.  Secondly, and perhaps finally, its me.  If I can see a color, I can recognize it, I can enhance it, I can manipulate it, but I don't always do well creating color.  I saw an area for skin and put down skin-ish color.  TA DA.  In hind sight, I probably should have added a lot of depth to these so that they are a bit (ok a lot) more lively.

So, here you are, +Kelly Murphy, a couple of quick sketch es in the fashion of so many of the paintings you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment