Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Zion National Park


I've painted this picture before.  It was when I was just starting out in watercolors.  I spent hours drawing, and painting and fussing over it.  I tried hard to make something that would look nice, but in the end,  I think, I ended with a giant mess. 

So, over the weekend, I was going through some old works of mine and found this picture in the bottom of a drawer.  I thought I could paint it again to see how I could do.  This time, however, I handicapped myself.   

I went to my studio, only to find that my daughter and her friend had ransacked the place.  It took far too long to put back together.  So when all was said and done, I only had a very short amount of time to paint.  No Drawing for me.  Gonna have to paint wet into wet.  

Starting at the top, with a light orange wash, and changing to darker oranges and greens and grays as I made my way to the bottom.  The second wash saw me start in the very back with the same light wash.  Then onto the middle cliff,  a little more intensity.  The front was, of course the most intense.  Cliff walls done, it was on to the trees.  A little patter of green here and there.  A little grey for some water.  then wait just a sec and zip in some lines for tree trunks.  

I know its not high art, but given the time that I had to do it, I don't think its half bad.  And given that the first go round I did of this painting took many many hours, and doesn't look any better, I think its great.

No comments:

Post a Comment